Centre for Applied Archaeology
Built in Salford between 1840 and 1845, Worsley New Hall was a Gothic style mansion designed by the architect Edward Blore. It comprised a three story main block with separate wings for family and servants, as well as an impressive turreted tower. Recognised as an outstanding example of Elizabethan style architecture, it was visited by monarchs including Queen Victoria and Edward VII, but it also found its way into the history books by serving as a hospital during the First World War and as temporary quarters for evacuees from Dunkirk during the Second World War. However, in 1943, it suffered severe fire damage and was demolished just six years later.
In 2011, Salford University’s Centre for Applied Archaeology was commissioned by Peel Investments to carry out an archaeological investigation of the site and work began with a survey of all the surviving structures. Subsequent excavations then determined that a large number of basement rooms were virtually intact and in May 2012, a community archaeology project was launched which enabled local schools and other groups to play a part in the dig. Prior to work in the basement, SUAVE was asked in to provide a detailed aerial photographic record of the site.